Filming of Shantaram to start in January
MUMBAI (Reuters Life!) - Acclaimed director Mira Nair will next year start filming "Shantaram", a film based on the bestselling novel by an escaped convict and that stars Johnny Depp and Amitabh Bachchan, an Indian newspaper reported on Friday.
The film, an adaptation of Gregory David Roberts' novel, describes his escape from an Australian prison to Mumbai and his adventures with the city's powerful mafia.
Roberts' book, an international bestseller, also narrates his subsequent arrest and extradition to Australia and then his coming back to Mumbai, where he has set up a free health service for the poor and also does some teaching.
"The official date for the start of the movie version of Shantaram starring Amitabh Bachchan and Johnny Depp has been set for January 19, 2008," Roberts told the DNA daily.
The newspaper also said that Depp might stay with the Bachchans when he visits India for shooting.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Facebook Q1 revenue grows 72 percent on rising mobile ads
- UPDATE 3-Boy and girl on Korean ferry tied life jackets together before they drowned
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry tied life jackets together before they drowned
- Kashmiris wary as Modi challenges for power
- Preview - Liverpool seek to land knockout blow on Chelsea
It's been a big year for Lupita Nyong'o. After winning an Oscar and a lucrative advertising deal the actress was named on Wednesday as the world's most beautiful woman for 2014 by People magazine. Read | Lupita in pics