Filming of Shantaram to start in January
MUMBAI (Reuters Life!) - Acclaimed director Mira Nair will next year start filming "Shantaram", a film based on the bestselling novel by an escaped convict and that stars Johnny Depp and Amitabh Bachchan, an Indian newspaper reported on Friday.
The film, an adaptation of Gregory David Roberts' novel, describes his escape from an Australian prison to Mumbai and his adventures with the city's powerful mafia.
Roberts' book, an international bestseller, also narrates his subsequent arrest and extradition to Australia and then his coming back to Mumbai, where he has set up a free health service for the poor and also does some teaching.
"The official date for the start of the movie version of Shantaram starring Amitabh Bachchan and Johnny Depp has been set for January 19, 2008," Roberts told the DNA daily.
The newspaper also said that Depp might stay with the Bachchans when he visits India for shooting.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Russia transfer of rocket system to Ukraine rebels imminent- Pentagon
- UPDATE 3-Nigeria government confirms Ebola case in megacity of Lagos
- UPDATE 1-Market Basket mulls ex-CEO's buyout offer as employees rally
- Dell, BlackBerry downplay threat from Apple-IBM alliance
- Alabama man claims penis was amputated by mistake
Mexican director Alejandro Inarritu opens this year's Venice film festival with the premiere of "Birdman", a black comedy that heads a 55-strong selection leaning heavily towards war and recession, festival director Alberto Barbera said on Thursday. Full Article