Filming of Shantaram to start in January
MUMBAI (Reuters Life!) - Acclaimed director Mira Nair will next year start filming "Shantaram", a film based on the bestselling novel by an escaped convict and that stars Johnny Depp and Amitabh Bachchan, an Indian newspaper reported on Friday.
The film, an adaptation of Gregory David Roberts' novel, describes his escape from an Australian prison to Mumbai and his adventures with the city's powerful mafia.
Roberts' book, an international bestseller, also narrates his subsequent arrest and extradition to Australia and then his coming back to Mumbai, where he has set up a free health service for the poor and also does some teaching.
"The official date for the start of the movie version of Shantaram starring Amitabh Bachchan and Johnny Depp has been set for January 19, 2008," Roberts told the DNA daily.
The newspaper also said that Depp might stay with the Bachchans when he visits India for shooting.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-U.S. regulator questions Verizon plan to slow data speeds for some
- Argentina credit story grows murkier as talks collapse
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Best Buy CEO says tablet sales are "crashing" - Re/code
- Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
Godfather Of Soul
At first Oscar-winning actress Octavia Spencer thought she was seeing early concert footage of James Brown but then was told it was a screen test by Chadwick Boseman to play the "Godfather of Soul" in the new biopic "Get On Up." Full Article