RIO DE JANEIRO Police killed at least 11 people in a raid on Friday in the Cidade de Deus (City of God) slum, made famous in a hit film of the same name about Rio drug gangs.
Law enforcement officials said 10 of the people killed were suspected drug traffickers and one was a woman who lived in the neighborhood.
Two women were also wounded during the shootout between police and the suspected traffickers, who had taken refuge in a house in the slum after fleeing from authorities.
Police seized six automatic rifles, five grenades and drugs during the raid. Authorities also sent reinforcements after the raid to prevent retaliation from drug gangs or protests from residents of the neighborhood.
Rio police are notorious for rough tactics against drug gangs that control many of the city's shantytowns.
Trending On Reuters
A campaign led by Shi'ite paramilitaries to drive Islamic State militants from Iraq's Sunni heartland was rebranded on Wednesday after criticism that the name chosen for the push was overtly sectarian. Full Article
- U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states
- Exclusive - Russia masses heavy firepower on border with Ukraine: witness
- U.S. hopes Chinese island-building will spur Asian response
- Hundreds evacuated in Texas after storms leave at least 15 dead
- Iran, North Korea forging ballistic, nuclear ties - dissidents
India tipped to overtake China in Modi's first year despite sluggish feel Full Article