RIO DE JANEIRO Police killed at least 11 people in a raid on Friday in the Cidade de Deus (City of God) slum, made famous in a hit film of the same name about Rio drug gangs.
Law enforcement officials said 10 of the people killed were suspected drug traffickers and one was a woman who lived in the neighborhood.
Two women were also wounded during the shootout between police and the suspected traffickers, who had taken refuge in a house in the slum after fleeing from authorities.
Police seized six automatic rifles, five grenades and drugs during the raid. Authorities also sent reinforcements after the raid to prevent retaliation from drug gangs or protests from residents of the neighborhood.
Rio police are notorious for rough tactics against drug gangs that control many of the city's shantytowns.
Trending On Reuters
A Syrian father on Friday buried his wife and two little boys, drowned as they tried to flee to Europe, while hundreds of migrants fled from a detention camp and escaped a train stranded under police siege in Hungary. Full Article | Video
- Kentucky clerk's office ends ban on same-sex marriage licenses
- UK's Cameron bows to pressure to take more Syrian refugees
- Hillary Clinton says 'sorry' for confusion over email account
- At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy shut
- Saudi king meets with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal