MUMBAI A Mumbai court ruled on Friday that a scene in the film “Om Shanti Om” considered offensive by veteran actor Manoj Kumar must be deleted before the television premiere of the 2007 blockbuster.
Kumar, 71, a Bollywood star of the 1960s and 70s, had sought a stay on the telecast of the film over a scene in which his lookalike is thrown out of a cinema hall.
The local court passed an interim order that the film could not be shown in any media -- TV, DVD or Internet -- without the scene being deleted.
A lawyer for Sony Entertainment Television said "Om Shanti Om" would be screened on the channel on Sunday as planned.
"The telecast will still go ahead, but my client has agreed to delete the offending scene in keeping with the court's order," Ashok Nambisian told Reuters.
A lawyer for Kumar said the actor was planning to file a criminal case and separate defamation proceedings against the film’s producer -- Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment -- and director Farah Khan.
"We will be filing a defamation suit and demanding damages of one rupee, as token amount, because you can’t put a price on someone's dignity," said Ashok Sarogi.
Neither lawyers for Shah Rukh Khan nor the actor himself were available for comment. Calls to Farah Khan went unanswered.
Earlier this week, Kumar told Reuters he was "humiliated" by his depiction in the scene.
"Om Shanti Om" is the story of a struggling junior actor played by Shah Rukh Khan who is killed. He is reborn to become a star who goes on to seek the killer and his lady love from the previous birth.
Trending On Reuters
An Indian pop group has made a music video honouring a freedom fighter who assassinated a British official in revenge for a 1919 massacre, at a time of renewed calls in India for reparations from Britain for the excesses of colonial rule. Full Article