Bindra gets lifetime rail pass
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Shooter Abhinav Bindra will get a free lifetime railway pass for winning his nation's first solo title in an Olympics on Monday -- a perfect reward for someone who says he dislikes air travel.
The pass will allow airconditioned first class travel with a companion for the shooter who constantly flies around the world for major meets.
Bindra, 25, won the men's 10m air rifle gold medal at the Beijing Games, bringing unbridled joy to his medal-starved nation which has showered him with many cash incentives.
Asked after his triumph in Beijing if he was looking forward to going home to a hero's welcome, the laconic Bindra replied: "Not really. I don't like plane travels."
However, the shooter has no fear of flying, an Indian shooting official said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Govt considers ban on e-cigarettes, sale of single smokes
- India's fiscal deficit in H1 almost 83 pct of full-year target
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- Muslim men over 50 pray at Jerusalem's Aqsa mosque amid tight security
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin