Bindra gets lifetime rail pass
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Shooter Abhinav Bindra will get a free lifetime railway pass for winning his nation's first solo title in an Olympics on Monday -- a perfect reward for someone who says he dislikes air travel.
The pass will allow airconditioned first class travel with a companion for the shooter who constantly flies around the world for major meets.
Bindra, 25, won the men's 10m air rifle gold medal at the Beijing Games, bringing unbridled joy to his medal-starved nation which has showered him with many cash incentives.
Asked after his triumph in Beijing if he was looking forward to going home to a hero's welcome, the laconic Bindra replied: "Not really. I don't like plane travels."
However, the shooter has no fear of flying, an Indian shooting official said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- EXCLUSIVE - Apple iPhone 6 screen snag leaves supply chain scrambling
- UPDATE 7-U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions
- U.S. urges Moscow to immediately withdraw convoy from Ukraine
- UPDATE 3-Dynegy cuts exposure to wholesale power with deals worth $6.25 bln
Top seed Novak Djokovic and number two Roger Federer are favored to wage another title showdown in the last grand slam of 2014, although some emerging young guns have other ideas for the U.S. Open starting on Monday. Full Article