Ecclestone rules out comeback for Canada
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out reinstating the axed Canadian Grand Prix as a replacement for France on what will now be a 17 race calendar next year.
Canada was dropped from a revised version of the calendar issued last week but the possibility of a reprieve was mooted when the French Grand Prix was scrapped for economic reasons on Wednesday.
Ecclestone told reporters at the Chinese Grand Prix, however, that there was no way back for the Montreal race next year and France would not be replaced in the schedule.
"They want 17 races, the teams, and that's what they've got," he said.
The Briton said the dates of some races would be changed to close the three-week gap left by the absence of the French race, which was due to take place at Magny-Cours on June 28.
"We'll have a look at that," he said.
Formula One's governing body, the International Automobile Federation (FIA), said on Thursday it yet to be officially notified of the cancellation of the French Grand Prix and had written to organisers seeking urgent clarification.
The absence of both Canada and France leaves North America without a race for the first time in 50 years and also strips the calendar of one of the sport's founding nations. Only once since 1950 has France not been on the calendar.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this