British forces check report on Afghan civilian deaths
KABUL Jan 6 (Reuters) - NATO's British forces were on Tuesday checking a report that some civilians were killed during an operation against the Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan's southern province of Helmand, a spokesman said.
Hundreds of Afghans were been killed in air strikes and raids by foreign troops last year, undermining public support for the presence of international forces and leading to a rift between President Hamid Karzai and his Western backers.
The latest incident happened in Baghni district on Monday night when, according to a provincial government source, five members of a family were killed in an operation by British forces.
No further details were given by the official.
"We are looking into this," Major Steve Melbourne, a spokesman for the British forces in Helmand, said by phone.
Nearly 700 civilians were killed up to October last year in raids by foreign and Afghan forces, an Afghan rights body said last month, quoting a U.N. estimate. (Writing by Sayed Salahuddin; Editing by David Fox)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Obama to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- China's rate-cut likely to hurt banks, curb new loans to small borrowers
- Long "to do" list for Modi as clock ticks on reform
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a long list of pro-growth measures to implement over the next four months, but time may have already run out to breathe enough life into the economy to meet the tough 2014/15 fiscal deficit target without cuts. Article