MUNICH, Germany There is no alternative to tightening sanctions against Iran over its nuclear work if it does not meet western demands and Russia must show it is ready help with such a move, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said.
"We need the Russians to help so that sanctions against Iran are effective," Sarkozy told the Munich Security Conference.
"We only have one solution left, reinforce sanctions against Iran and link Russia to this process," he added. "It is up to Russia to decide which face it wants to show. If it wants peace it should show it. If it wants to be a (global player), it should help us with Iran."
Trending On Reuters
A dispute over U.N. sanctions on Iran's ballistic missile programme and a broader arms embargo were among issues holding up a nuclear deal between Tehran and six world powers on Monday, the day before their latest self-imposed deadline. Full Article | Revolutionary Guards to benefit
- Islamic State takes ground from Syrian Kurds after air strikes
- Buffett donates record $2.84 billion to Gates, family charities
- Pakistani gunmen kill three in attack blamed on Islamist groups
- BRICS summit gives Putin a chance to show Russia not isolated
- Thousands camp out for Pope's first mass in Ecuador
Sri Lanka polls timed ahead of U.N. war crimes report to foil Rajapaksa comeback Full Article
Why Kiran Rao wants to focus on Indian cinema rather than international films at Mumbai festival Full Article