MUMBAI Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan underwent surgery at a city hospital on Monday and doctors said the film star would not be able to work for at least a month.
Khan, arguably India's biggest superstar, was admitted to Mumbai's Breach Candy hospital after suffering a rotator cuff tear in his left shoulder.
"He is out of anaesthesia and is a bit groggy, but otherwise the situation is under control," Sanjay Desai, who led a team of doctors operating on Khan, told reporters after a 90-minute surgery.
Desai said the 43-year-old actor would be out of action for "four to six weeks" but full recovery would take up to six months.
"Action will take time, but simple jobs, he can perform in a month's time. No high demand physical activity," Desai said.
Khan, whose film "Billu" opened in cinemas last week, is yet to complete work on director Karan Johar's project "My Name is Khan".
But trade analysts said Khan's surgery was unlikely to delay the film, about a Muslim man suffering from Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism.
"The shooting of the film wasn't scheduled for some time now and I don't think any of the remaining scenes involve any heavy duty action," trade analyst Taran Adarsh said.
Doctors said Khan was advised to undergo surgery only because he was keen to do action roles and perform all stunts himself.
"If he were to lead a sedentary life, there would be no need of the surgery," the actor's physiotherapist Ali Irani said.
Khan will be kept under observation in hospital for "one or two" days to track his recovery.
Trending On Reuters
“Welcome Back” is sporadically funny, one that ebbs and flows; but it just about passes the ‘guilty pleasure’ test thanks to Anil Kapoor and Nana Patekar, writes Shilpa Jamkhandikar. Full Article