Classy Dementieva destroys qualifier Kulikova
LONDON (Reuters) - Olympic champion Elena Dementieva brushed aside fellow Russian Regina Kulikova 6-1 6-2 to book a place in the Wimbledon fourth round for the sixth time in her career on Friday.
The fourth seed, who looks to have one of the best quarters in the draw, broke twice in the opening set before wrapping it up in just 24 minutes before Kulikova, playing her sixth match after a tough qualifying run, improved markedly.
The world number 191 made more of a game of it in the second but Dementieva had too much in her armoury, sealing victory with a scrambled backhand down the line.
She will play Russia's Elena Vesnina or Slovakian 14th seed Dominika Cibulkova for a place in the quarter-finals.
(To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Islamic State video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
- UPDATE 1-Pakistan crisis puts army back in the driving seat
- Landslides hit Japan's Hiroshima, killing at least 27 |
- Pakistan crisis puts army back in the driving seat