Swine flu scare at world badminton championships
HYDERABAD (Reuters) - A Malaysian coach was quarantined with swine flu symptoms at the world badminton championships on Tuesday, while a doubles pair from Thailand pulled out of a match after one of them complained of fever.
K. Subhakar, a government official, told reporters that a member of the Malaysian coaching staff had been admitted to the regional chest hospital after displaying H1N1 virus symptoms.
A spokesman also said an unnamed doubles player from Thailand was taken to hospital later in the day.
Eight people have died of swine flu in India, with hundreds infected. Andhra Pradesh, of which Hyderabad is the capital, has so far recorded 76 positive cases.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) expressed confidence in the situation at India's first hosting of the championships.
"We don't see any reason for any major concerns, but we have assured the players that we will manage the situation over the rest of the tournament and make sure that none of the players are in any danger," BWF chief operating officer Thomas Lund told a news conference.
"In the world today, this issue is not uncommon," Lund added. "All the players travel on a weekly basis, they are facing these issues on a weekly basis in airports wherever they go.
"We have not received any particular concerns from any particular players."
(To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- TCS net profit rises 51.5 percent, beats estimates
- UPDATE 5-Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes - coastguard
- Infosys says staff exodus a worry after Q4 profits beat estimates
- Ocean floor search for missing Malaysia plane cut short again
- Pro-Russians take control of Ukrainian troop carriers
Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski struck twice in a laboured 3-1 win over West Ham United on Tuesday as the FA Cup finalists maintained their push for a Champions League place by moving back into the top four. Full Article | Related Story