Commonwealth Games stadium catches fire
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A fire broke out late on Thursday at the rugby stadium under construction for next year's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Domestic media said on Friday that the blaze had started in the venue seats and taken almost two hours to extinguish but no casualties were reported.
"PVC sheet was being laid when the fire broke out due to carelessness in welding work," an unnamed fire brigade official told the DNA newspaper.
New Delhi is preparing to host more than 100,000 foreign visitors during the Oct. 3-14 event, seen as an opportunity to show off the Indian capital as a major global destination.
(Writing by Sanjay Rajan; Editing by Alastair Himmer. To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge
- BSE Sensex marks biggest weekly fall in nearly a month
- Micromax aims to go global, high-end with smartphones
- November retail inflation cements calls for rate hike