Commonwealth Games stadium catches fire
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A fire broke out late on Thursday at the rugby stadium under construction for next year's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Domestic media said on Friday that the blaze had started in the venue seats and taken almost two hours to extinguish but no casualties were reported.
"PVC sheet was being laid when the fire broke out due to carelessness in welding work," an unnamed fire brigade official told the DNA newspaper.
New Delhi is preparing to host more than 100,000 foreign visitors during the Oct. 3-14 event, seen as an opportunity to show off the Indian capital as a major global destination.
(Writing by Sanjay Rajan; Editing by Alastair Himmer. To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Search widened as Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack
- UPDATE 5-GM hires law firms it works with to probe recall response
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack - sources
- Snowden: Proposed NSA reforms vindicate my data leaks |
- China deploys 10 satellites to help in search for Malaysia jet