WBO world champion Braehmer gets 16-month jail sentence
BERLIN (Reuters) - WBO light heavyweight world champion Juergen Braehmer was handed a 16-month prison sentence by a German court on Tuesday for attacking two people in separate incidents two years ago.
Braehmer's lawyers said they would appeal the verdict while his promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl said it had not yet come into force. "Today's verdict is not yet legally binding," said Universum chief Kohl.
"We will calmly sit down and look at the verdict reasoning with his lawyers who have already announced they will appeal. So we still believe in his innocence," Kohl said in a statement.
Braehmer was found guilty by the court in the eastern city of Schwerin for hitting a woman in a Schwerin bar in May 2008 and physically attacking another person in one of the city's clubs in September of that year.
"I still believe in his innocence given there is no witness other than the accuser (in the May incident). He is still very much part of our plans," added Kohl.
The 31-year-old southpaw, who became world champion last year and has a 35-2 record, has had run-ins with the law for much of his career and had been convicted for violent behaviour in the past.
(Writing by Karolos Grohmann, Editing by Ken Ferris
To comment on this story: email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Bill Cosby says he does not have to 'answer to innuendos': report
- Hitler watercolour fetches 130,000 euros at Nuremberg auction
- China's rate-cut likely to hurt banks, curb new loans to small borrowers
Pole vault world record holder Renaud Lavillenie and Olympic shot put champion Valerie Adams were named World Athletes of the Year at an IAAF gala in Monaco on Friday. Full Article