Eight die in India's first big attack since Mumbai
PUNE (Reuters) - A bomb ripped through a packed restaurant in Pune on Saturday, killing at least eight people including one foreigner in the country's first big attack since the 2008 Mumbai massacre.
The explosion comes only a day after India and Pakistan agreed to meet for high-level talks in New Delhi on Feb. 25. New Delhi suspended a four-year-old peace process with Islamabad after the Mumbai attacks, blamed on Pakistani-based militants.
Police said the bomb was hidden in a bag left in the German Bakery restaurant, a favourite of Jewish and European visitors, when it was full of tourists on Saturday evening.
"We heard a big noise and we all rushed out. The impact was so much that there were tiny body parts everywhere," said Vinod Dhale, an employee at the bakery.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which also wounded 32 people. But any sign of Pakistani involvement would worsen relations between the two nuclear rivals and further destabilise a region overshadowed by war in Afghanistan.
"This is a terrorist attack on India," said Chagan Bhujbal, deputy chief minister of Maharashtra, which is home to both Pune and Mumbai. But officials have not blamed any group and said more investigations are needed.
Debris was strewn all around the bakery, located near an ashram or religious retreat which is also frequented by foreigners, and a Jewish centre. The impact of the blast knocked the bakery's sign off, blew out windows and left a large crater inside the restaurant.
"It (the bomb) was under one of the tables ... We transferred lots of people to the ambulances ... there is no German bakery any more," one foreigner, short of breath and resting against a wall, told local CNN-IBN television.
Police first said that four foreigners were killed but later the state government officials revised this one.
Pune, a few hours' drive from Mumbai, is a technology, educational and real estate hub popular with foreign students.
India put all its airports and railway stations on high alert after the blast and extra security was given to South African and Indian cricket teams playing in the country.
Militants killed 166 people during a three-day rampage through the financial capital of Mumbai in November 2008, which raised tensions between nuclear rivals Pakistan and India.
Before Mumbai, a wave of bombs hit Indian cities in 2008, killing more than 100 people.
Police blamed most of those attacks on home-grown Muslim militants, and a little-known group called the "Indian Mujahideen" claimed responsibility for some attacks.
But some Hindu militants have also been suspected of carrying out several attacks.
G.K. Pillai, a senior home ministry official, told reporters that the Pune ashram was one site surveyed by David Headley, arrested in the United States last year and charged him with scouting targets for the Mumbai rampage.
India suspects he has links to Lashkar-e-Taiba, the group blamed for the Mumbai attacks. Authorities have warned of renewed threats of attacks on Indian soil and have stepped up security in recent months across the country of 1.2 billion people.
New Delhi had been demanding action against the militants it says were behind the Mumbai assault before the peace process could resume, but this month offered to hold high-level talks despite little progress in Pakistan's prosecution of seven suspects.
Analysts said that while no breakthrough on core disputes was likely in the short-term, the renewed engagement between the two sides after more than a year was a good sign.
(Additional reporting by Surojit Gupta and Rina Chandran in Mumbai, Bappa Majumdar and Krittivas Mukherjee in New Delhi; Writing by Alistair Scrutton; editing by Paul de Bendern/ David Stamp)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo, dies after car strikes it
- U.S. plans to arm Iraq's Sunni tribesmen with AK-47s, RPGs, mortars
- Apple $450 mln e-book settlement gets final court approval
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Samsung files ITC complaint to block Nvidia chips from U.S. - Bloomberg
India approved on Saturday the purchase of 814 mounted gun systems for the army at a cost of 157.5 billion rupees ($2.55 billion), a defence ministry spokesman said. Full Article