Wyclef not on Haiti candidates list - electoral source
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haiti hip-hop star Wyclef Jean is not on the list of approved candidates who satisfy legal requirements to run in a Nov. 28 presidential election, a member of the provisional electoral council said on Thursday.
"He is not on the list as I speak," the council official, who asked not to be named, told Reuters. He said the country's electoral disputes bureau had ruled that Jean's candidacy did not meet several legal requirements.
The provisional electoral council was due to formally publish the list of approved candidates on Friday.
Singer-songwriter Jean, 40, who is widely popular in his impoverished and earthquake-ravaged homeland, had filed documents with the council this month to run as a candidate for the November election. He was among 34 contenders for the presidency who filed initial candidacy bids.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva; Editing by Pascal Fletcher and Philip Barbara)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Mumbai hit by big power cuts after technical glitch at Tata Power unit
- Sensex surges past 27,000 to third consecutive life high
- Japan and India vow to boost defence ties during summit
- Putin comment on "taking Kiev in 2 weeks" taken out of context - aide
'Guardians of the Galaxy' wins weekend, tops this year's box office universe Full Article