Two judokas promoted to silver
GUANGZHOU, China (Reuters) - Two bronze winners at the Asian Games judo tournament have had their medals upgraded to silver following the disqualification of Uzbekistan judoka Shokir Muminov for doping.
Muminov lost the gold medal bout to Kim Jae-bum in the men's 81kg on Sunday, but had the silver stripped after a banned stimulant was found in his urine sample.
Kazakh Islam Bozbayev and Masahiro Takamatsu will both take silver, while no bronze medal would be awarded, the Olympic Council of Asia said in a statement on Saturday.
Muminov was the first athlete caught for doping at the Nov. 12-27 Asian Games where half of the planned 1,500 tests have been performed. Some 10,000 athletes are competing in Guangzhou.
(Editing by Dave Thompson; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Govt considers ban on e-cigarettes, sale of single smokes
- India's fiscal deficit in H1 almost 83 pct of full-year target
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- Sensex surges 500 points on BOJ easing, L&T gains
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin