Two judokas promoted to silver
GUANGZHOU, China (Reuters) - Two bronze winners at the Asian Games judo tournament have had their medals upgraded to silver following the disqualification of Uzbekistan judoka Shokir Muminov for doping.
Muminov lost the gold medal bout to Kim Jae-bum in the men's 81kg on Sunday, but had the silver stripped after a banned stimulant was found in his urine sample.
Kazakh Islam Bozbayev and Masahiro Takamatsu will both take silver, while no bronze medal would be awarded, the Olympic Council of Asia said in a statement on Saturday.
Muminov was the first athlete caught for doping at the Nov. 12-27 Asian Games where half of the planned 1,500 tests have been performed. Some 10,000 athletes are competing in Guangzhou.
(Editing by Dave Thompson; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Facebook Q1 revenue grows 72 percent on rising mobile ads
- UPDATE 3-Boy and girl on Korean ferry tied life jackets together before they drowned
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry tied life jackets together before they drowned
- Kashmiris wary as Modi challenges for power
- Preview - Liverpool seek to land knockout blow on Chelsea
Real Madrid took a step closer to an elusive 10th European Cup with a 1-0 home win over Bayern Munich on Wednesday and the Spanish side will hope to finish off the job in Germany having shown how effective they are on the counter-attack. Full Article