Two judokas promoted to silver
GUANGZHOU, China (Reuters) - Two bronze winners at the Asian Games judo tournament have had their medals upgraded to silver following the disqualification of Uzbekistan judoka Shokir Muminov for doping.
Muminov lost the gold medal bout to Kim Jae-bum in the men's 81kg on Sunday, but had the silver stripped after a banned stimulant was found in his urine sample.
Kazakh Islam Bozbayev and Masahiro Takamatsu will both take silver, while no bronze medal would be awarded, the Olympic Council of Asia said in a statement on Saturday.
Muminov was the first athlete caught for doping at the Nov. 12-27 Asian Games where half of the planned 1,500 tests have been performed. Some 10,000 athletes are competing in Guangzhou.
(Editing by Dave Thompson; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Blind enormously proud to be a Red Devil
- India says Pakistan border clashes "extremely serious and provocative"
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Alibaba aims to launch share sale in early September-source
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions