US was worried over Saudi prince health - WikiLeaks
RIYADH (Reuters) - The United States voiced doubts over the health of Saudi Arabia's elderly Crown Prince Sultan in a diplomatic cable in May 2009, writing that he was "incapacitated", according to website WikiLeaks.
Top oil exporter Saudi Arabia has sought to quash speculation on the health of Sultan, who is thought to be in his mid-eighties and was treated for an unspecified sickness for much of the past two years.
Sultan, who officially stands in line to inherit the throne, rushed home last month from a three-month break in Morocco after King Abdullah, who is around 87, sought medical treatment in New York.
"Crown Prince Sultan has been incapacitated by illness for at least (the) past year," the U.S. embassy in Riyadh wrote in a cable in May 2009. At the time Sultan was in Morocco for rest after medical treatment in the United States.
Abdullah, who underwent surgery in New York last week after a blood clot complicated a slipped spinal disk, has asked Sultan to run the kingdom, a staunch U.S. ally, during his absence.
Saudi officials say Sultan is working normally. State media this week showed pictures of him chairing a cabinet meeting and receiving Saudi officials.
But diplomats in Riyadh say Sultan has been treated for cancer and seem to have unofficially delegated duties to other princes since his return in December following an absence abroad for almost a year.
With both Abdullah and Sultan in their 80s, the next in line would be conservative Interior Minister Prince Nayef, at a relatively youthful 76. Nayef would still need the approval of Saudi Arabia's "Allegiance Council" to become king.
Abdullah appointed his half-brother Nayef second deputy prime minister in 2009 in a move that analysts say will secure the leadership in the event of serious health problems afflicting the king and crown prince and improve Nayef's chances of one day being king.
(Reporting by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Ron Askew)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Special Report: Why Madrid's poor fear Goldman Sachs and Blackstone
- Gold sales jump about 20 pct for Diwali - trade body
- Three major nations absent as China launches W.Bank rival in Asia
- UPDATE 4-Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- ISL probes allegation of assault on Pires
The gunman in Wednesday's attack on Canada's capital had a criminal record and recently applied for a passport, planning to travel to Syria after undergoing a "radicalization process," police said on Thursday. Full Article
Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq - U.S. Full Article
Canadian couple accused of spying in China held in near isolation, son says Full Article