UAE telcos to offer number portability by Q1 - regulator
ABU DHABI Jan 24 (Reuters) - UAE telecom operators, Etisalat ETEL.AD and du DU.DU, will offer customers full number portability by the end of the first-quarter, the telecommunications regulator said on Monday.
This means customers will be able to keep their old telephone number if they switch providers.
"It will stimulate competition between the two operators because operators will try to hold onto their customers," Mohamed Al Ghanim, director general of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, told reporters at a conference in Abu Dhabi.
Ghanim also ruled out issuing a third UAE telephone licence.
"The market cannot take it," he added. (Reporting by Stanley Carvalho, writing by Matt Smith; Editing by Dinesh Nair)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge
- Micromax aims to go global, high-end with smartphones
- BSE Sensex posts biggest weekly fall in nearly a month
- UPDATE 1-Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake -officials