UAE telcos to offer number portability by Q1 - regulator
ABU DHABI Jan 24 (Reuters) - UAE telecom operators, Etisalat ETEL.AD and du DU.DU, will offer customers full number portability by the end of the first-quarter, the telecommunications regulator said on Monday.
This means customers will be able to keep their old telephone number if they switch providers.
"It will stimulate competition between the two operators because operators will try to hold onto their customers," Mohamed Al Ghanim, director general of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, told reporters at a conference in Abu Dhabi.
Ghanim also ruled out issuing a third UAE telephone licence.
"The market cannot take it," he added. (Reporting by Stanley Carvalho, writing by Matt Smith; Editing by Dinesh Nair)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- China's rate-cut likely to hurt banks, curb new loans to small borrowers
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Hitler watercolour fetches 130,000 euros at Nuremberg auction
- Magnitude 6.8 quake hits central Japan; no tsunami warning