New income tax slabs for FY2012
Here are the new tax slabs according to your gender and age that might be applicable to you.
Up to Rs 1,80,000 – NIL ** From Rs 1,80,001 to Rs 5,00,000 - 10% ** From Rs 5,00,001 to Rs 8,00,000 – 20% ** Above Rs 8,00,001 - 30%
Up to Rs 1,90,000 – NIL ** From Rs 1,90,001 to Rs 5,00,000 - 10% ** From Rs 5,00,001 to Rs 8,00,000 – 20% ** Above Rs 8,00,001 - 30%
FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
Up to Rs 2,50,000 – NIL ** From Rs 2,50,001 to Rs 5,00,000 - 10% ** From Rs 5,00,001 to Rs 8,00,000 – 20% ** Above Rs 8,00,001 - 30%
FOR SENIOR CITIZENS (above 80 years)
Up to Rs 5,00,000 – NIL ** From Rs 5,00,001 to Rs 8,00,000 – 20% ** Above Rs 8,00,001 - 30%
To show you an actual example of the scope of savings, let’s look at the hypothetical case of Mr Mukherji, an individual taxpayer. His salary income is Rs 18 lakhs and he takes full benefit of the 80C deduction available to individuals. The illustration below compares Mr Mukherji’s tax liability under the old slabs and new slabs, and demonstrates the savings that he can achieve under the new rules.
Download the illustration here -- r.reuters.com/fes38r
Other Key Changes:
1. For Senior citizens age limit is reduced to 60 years from 65 years
2. Additional deduction of 20,000 rupees for investment in long term infrastructure bonds is extended for 1 more year.
3. If you are a salaried employee, and your salary is upto Rs. 5,00,000/- and you don't have any other source of income and whole of your tax liability is paid in the form of tax deducted at source by the employer then you are not required to file income tax return.
Copyright 2011 iTrust Financial Advisors Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: This tool/content is provided by iTrust and not by Reuters. The content may not be copied, broadcast, downloaded and stored (in any medium), transmitted, adapted or changed in any way whatsoever without the prior written permission of iTrust.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed - Algerian official
- Alabama man sues, claiming penis amputated instead of circumcised
- Taiwan launches inquiry into plane crash that killed 48
- Wipro sees strong sales growth, eyes Europe deals
- Honda's Mobilio car looks to repeat Indonesia success in India