BCCI on the front foot in DRS opposition
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) is against the mandatory use of the Decision Review System (DRS) in all international matches and will oppose its introduction at a crucial meeting in Hong Kong next month, the board's secretary N Srinivasan told Reuters on Sunday.
The elite Cricket Committee of the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday recommended the use of DRS in all forms of international cricket and is hoping the proposal meets approval when the governing body's Chief Executives' Committee and the Executive Board meet from June 26-30.
BCCI secretary Srinivasan said the richest cricket body in the world would make sure the proposal did not get the green light.
"I just don't understand why they keep raising the issue time and again," a peeved Srinivasan said by phone.
"There seems no sanctity of the (Executive) Board's decision. The Board had taken a decision and the issue was not supposed to be brought back again (in the June meeting). We are going to oppose it."
The world's most powerful cricket board remains a steadfast opponent of DRS and Srinivasan shot off an angry letter to ICC in March, claiming the technology's "inadequacy" had been exposed in this year's 50-over World Cup.
Introduced in October 2009, the DRS, under which teams have two appeals against an umpire's decision per innings, has been implemented in 31 tests.
The ICC Cricket Committee, headed by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd, recommended extending its use in all limited overs matches but Srinivasan said BCCI would put its foot down again.
"What is this Cricket Committee? It's just a small sub-committee of the ICC which can only make recommendations. It's for the CEC and Executive Board to decide.
"As of now, the host and visiting teams have to agree on its use and the BCCI position is very clear about it.
"It has got many flaws. We are just not convinced of the accuracy of this technology," Srinivasan added.
(Editing by John O'Brien; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
Trending On Reuters
India has asked YouTube to remove all links to a controversial documentary about the gang rape and murder of a woman in Delhi after banning its broadcast, a government official told Reuters on Thursday. Full Article
PM Modi to ramp up help for Indian Ocean nations to counter China influence Full Article
Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South Korea Full Article