KARACHI Eight more blasts rocked the PNS Mehran naval base in Karachi as 30 more troops reinforced more than 100 commandos battling a group of militants who attacked the base on Sunday night, a Reuters witness said.
"Our estimate is 10-15 terrorists are inside the base," said Naval spokesman Muhammad Yasir. "They have been confined to a building. Fighting is still going on."
Pakistani troops appeared to be engaged in a full-on assault of a building where militants have holed up after assaulting the base and destroying military aircraft.
Yasir said the explosions were likely hand grenades thrown by commandos.
(Reporting by Faisal Aziz and Kamran Haider; Editing by Chris Allbritton)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday, saying it had repeatedly violated its air space, one of the most serious publicly acknowledged clashes between a NATO member country and Russia for half a century. Full Article | Video
- At least 11 dead in attack on Tunisia military bus
- Man who lodged suspected Paris attackers goes before judge
- Vatican puts journalists on trial amid human rights furore
- U.N. decries Balkans border curbs on refugees; arrivals in Greece fall sharply
- Putin's 'realpolitik' aims to make Russia indispensable