Eight more blasts rock naval base in Karachi
KARACHI (Reuters) - Eight more blasts rocked the PNS Mehran naval base in Karachi as 30 more troops reinforced more than 100 commandos battling a group of militants who attacked the base on Sunday night, a Reuters witness said.
"Our estimate is 10-15 terrorists are inside the base," said Naval spokesman Muhammad Yasir. "They have been confined to a building. Fighting is still going on."
Pakistani troops appeared to be engaged in a full-on assault of a building where militants have holed up after assaulting the base and destroying military aircraft.
Yasir said the explosions were likely hand grenades thrown by commandos.
(Reporting by Faisal Aziz and Kamran Haider; Editing by Chris Allbritton)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- Malaysian plane with 239 aboard crashes - report
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane - Vietnam official
PLANE LOSES CONTACT
A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went missing over the South China Sea on Saturday, prompting China to send ships to scour the water for possible wreckage. Full Article | Video
"Everything is fine", Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend. Full Article