UK, U.S. launch joint national security body - source

LONDON Mon May 23, 2011 10:31pm IST

Related Topics

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain and the United States are to create a new joint forum to assess long-term threats to their national security, a British government source said on Monday.

The launch of the new national security strategy board is expected to be announced during U.S. President Barack Obama's state visit to Britain, starting on Tuesday.

"The U.S. and UK already work closely together on many national security issues. The new board will allow us to look ahead and develop a shared view of emerging challenges, how we should deal with them, and how our current policy can adapt to longer-term developments," the government source said.

"Sharing the knowledge and insights of the experts in London and Washington will help both governments look ahead in an increasingly complex and fast-moving world," the source said.

The new board will bring together senior foreign and defence policy officials from London and Washington. It will be headed by the U.S. and British national security advisers, respectively Tom Donilon and Peter Ricketts.

British officials did not say what had prompted the new joint body, but Western governments were taken by surprise by the uprisings that have swept the Arab world.

Their initial response to the Libyan crisis was confused with the Obama administration initially sceptical about supporting the no-fly zone backed by Brtain and France.

British Prime Minister David Cameron set up a U.S.-style National Security Council soon after winning last year's general election, to discuss issues such as the Afghanistan war and the threat of terror attacks in Britain.

The British have also given high priority to combatting cyber attacks.

(Reporting by Adrian Croft; Editing by Paul Taylor)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Korean Boat Tragedy

Family members of a missing passenger onboard the South Korean ferry Sewol which capsized on Wednesday, look at the sea as they wait for news from a rescue team, at a port in Jindo April 19, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead

Relatives of some of the more than 200 children missing in a sunken South Korean ferry offered DNA swabs on Saturday to help identify the dead as a rescue turned into a mission to recover the vessel and the bodies of those on board.  Full Article 

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Everest Tragedy

Everest Tragedy

Death toll climbs in worst tragedy on Everest  Full Article 

Missing Plane

Missing Plane

Current underwater search for Malaysia plane could end within a week  Full Article 

Ukraine Crisis

Ukraine Crisis

Putin welcomes new NATO head, says better ties with West possible  Full Article 

Japan Military

Japan Military

Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China  Full Article 

Journalists Released

Journalists Released

Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey's Syrian border   Full Article 

Papal Message

Papal Message

Pope Good Friday service underscores plight of the suffering.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage