HONG KONG China Mobile Ltd, the world's biggest mobile operator, has met with Apple Inc Chief Executive Steve Jobs several times on introducing an iPhone based on its network standard.
The operator already had 7.44 million iPhone users on its network even though it did not sell the smartphone through its retail network, China Mobile executives said at a news conference after the release of its first-half earnings.
China Mobile operates a 3G mobile network based on its home-grown TDSCDMA standard, which Apple currently does not support. iPhone users on China Mobile's network do not have access to 3G download speeds.
(Reporting by Lee Chyen Yee; Editing by Chris Lewis)
Trending On Reuters
India has blocked hundreds of adult websites to prevent pornography becoming a social nuisance, a government official said on Monday, sparking a debate about censorship and freedom in the world's largest democracy. Article | Poll
- Samsung glamour days over as it fights to save mobile market share
- Drug using 3D printing technology gets FDA nod
- U.S. court to hear lawsuits over 'net neutrality' in December
- U.S. drones capture breath samples from humpback whales in study
- Internet experts submit draft plan for U.S. to cede domain oversight