BAGHDAD Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
Trending On Reuters
Hundreds of angry migrants demonstrated outside Budapest's shuttered Eastern Railway Terminus on Tuesday, demanding that they be allowed to travel on to Germany, as a migration crisis put the European Union's rules under unprecedented strain. Full Article
- Thai police say arrested man played key role in Bangkok blast
- Satellite images confirm major temple destroyed in Syria's Palmyra - U.N
- Insight - Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar's mainstream
- Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces