BAGHDAD Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
Trending On Reuters
Malaysian police believe at least two of the jungle camps where they have found nearly 140 graves of suspected human trafficking victims were abandoned in the last two to three weeks, around the time that Thailand launched a crackdown on people smugglers. Full Article
- Islamic State faces battle in Iraq, U.S. reassures Abadi
- Japan to join U.S., Australia war games amid growing China tensions
- IT chief at Bangladesh Coca-Cola unit arrested as Islamic State suspect
- Unpopular but defiant, Myanmar ruling party unfazed about poll prospects
- Southeast Asia maritime build-up accelerates, raising risks in disputed seas