BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
Trending On Reuters
Major powers and Iran were closer to a preliminary accord on reining in Tehran's nuclear programme as marathon talks ran into Wednesday, but they hit an impasse over key details such as the lifting of U.N. sanctions and Iran's future atomic research. Full Article
- Video shows last seconds of Germanwings flight before crash - Bild
- Prosecutor dies of wounds after Istanbul hostage shootout
- Malaysia rejects jailed opposition leader's petition for royal pardon
- Lufthansa flight school knew of crash pilot's depression
- Explosion at Yemen factory kills at least 25 - residents, medics
Indian firms mock gender diversity as boardroom deadline passes - analysts Full Article