Iraq issues arrest warrant for vice president Hashemi
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- CBS drops Rihanna from 'Thursday Night Football' after rebuke
- Apple iPhone 6 pre-orders hit record 4 million on first day
- Google launches $105 Android One; eyes low-price smartphone boom
- U.S. leaders call for 'war' on Ebola outbreak, pledge troops
- OECD unveils proposals to curb corporate tax avoidance
The United States has pledged to send 3,000 troops West Africa, using its military muscle to battle the biggest ever outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus, with an unprecedented mission to build treatment clinics and train health workers. Full Article
Ahead of independence vote, Britain pledges state funding to Scotland. Full Article