Iraq issues arrest warrant for vice president Hashemi
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria - monitor
- Google launches new email service dubbed "Inbox"
- India hope to get boxer Sarita Devi's suspension reversed
- Apple CEO says to add 25 stores in China within two years - Sina
- Japan PM's new minister hit by scandal over racy bar bill
A gunman attacked Canada's parliament on Wednesday, with shots fired near where Prime Minister Stephen Harper was speaking, and a soldier was killed at a nearby war memorial, stunning the Canadian capital. Full Article | Main Story
U.S.-led air strikes killed 553 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria - monitor. Full Article