Iraq issues arrest warrant for vice president Hashemi
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack - sources
- UPDATE 2-Snowden: Proposed NSA reforms vindicate my data leaks
- UPDATE 5-GM hires law firms it works with to probe recall response
- Snowden: Proposed NSA reforms vindicate my data leaks |
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX steady as rising banks offset dip in miners
Investigators in Malaysia are voicing skepticism that the airliner that disappeared early Saturday with 239 people on board was the target of an attack, U.S. and European government sources close to the probe said. Article
U.S. lawmakers urge Pentagon to allow Sikhs leeway in military attire. Full Article