TEHRAN Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has welcomed comments by U.S. President Obama about the need to dampen the drumbeat of war as a diplomatic "window of opportunity", the Iranian state news agency IRNA said on Thursday.
"We heard two days ago that the U.S. president said that (they) are not thinking about war with Iran. These words are good words and an exit from delusion," Khamenei was quoted by IRNA as saying.
But Khamenei said Obama had also spoken about bringing "the Iranian people to their knees through sanctions. This part of his comments shows that the illusion continues".
The United States and European allies have expanded economic sanctions against the Islamic Republic to get it to rein in its disputed nuclear programme.
(Reporting By Marcus George; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
Trending On Reuters
Hundreds of angry migrants demonstrated outside Budapest's shuttered Eastern Railway Terminus on Tuesday, demanding that they be allowed to travel on to Germany, as a migration crisis put the European Union's rules under unprecedented strain. Full Article
- Thai police say arrested man played key role in Bangkok blast
- Satellite images confirm major temple destroyed in Syria's Palmyra - U.N
- Insight - Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar's mainstream
- Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces