The Congress party is debating holding a general election in November, six months ahead of schedule, senior party leaders said, reflecting an internal discussion over whether to pull the plug on the shaky ruling coalition or have it serve a full term. Full Article
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida
- HSBC cuts gold, silver price forecasts for 2013, 2014
- Rod Stewart tops UK album chart for first time in 34 years
- S.Africa minister accuses Indian High Commission official in Gupta scandal
- Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image
Confused while buying stocks? Get buy, sell or hold recommendations from VantageTrade. Full Coverage
India ends tsunami alert after Indonesia quakes
NEW DELHI |
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India withdrew a national tsunami alert issued after huge earthquakes struck off Indonesia on Wednesday, the Indian tsunami warning centre said.
(For Slideshow click here)
"Thankfully, the danger has passed," a scientist at the centre told Reuters.
Disaster officials had earlier warned waves as high as 3.9 meters could hit parts of India's Andoman and Nicobar islands. A few thousand people were evacuated from the more vulnerable islands, a police official said.
(Reporting By Frank Jack Daniel; Editing by Kim Coghill)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this