RBI rate action to help revive investment: Mukherjee
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Reserve Bank of India's (RBI) decision to cut its key interest rate, by an unexpectedly sharp 50 basis points, will help revive investment, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told reporters on Tuesday.
The central bank cut interest rates on Tuesday for the first time in three years, lowering its policy repo rate to 8.00 percent, in a bid to revive a slowing economy.
Mukherjee also said the government would take additional steps in coming weeks to bolster economic growth.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; editing by Malini Menon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo, dies after car strikes it
- U.S. plans to arm Iraq's Sunni tribesmen with AK-47s, RPGs, mortars
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Apple $450 mln e-book settlement gets final court approval
- Team mates will determine success of my captaincy - Kohli
India approved on Saturday the purchase of 814 mounted gun systems for the army at a cost of 157.5 billion rupees ($2.55 billion), a defence ministry spokesman said. Full Article