RBI rate action to help revive investment: Mukherjee
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Reserve Bank of India's (RBI) decision to cut its key interest rate, by an unexpectedly sharp 50 basis points, will help revive investment, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told reporters on Tuesday.
The central bank cut interest rates on Tuesday for the first time in three years, lowering its policy repo rate to 8.00 percent, in a bid to revive a slowing economy.
Mukherjee also said the government would take additional steps in coming weeks to bolster economic growth.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; editing by Malini Menon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. diplomats' return to Libya could be more hazardous than exit
- Australia approves Adani's $16 bln Carmichael coal project
- Analysis - Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors
- Israel extends Gaza ceasefire for 24 hours, Hamas rejects terms
- Reliance Power to buy Jaiprakash's hydropower business
The Australian government on Monday approved Indian firm Adani Mining Pty Ltd's $15.5 billion Carmichael coal and rail project in Queensland, subject to strict conditions to protect groundwater. Full Article