RBI rate action to help revive investment: Mukherjee
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Reserve Bank of India's (RBI) decision to cut its key interest rate, by an unexpectedly sharp 50 basis points, will help revive investment, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told reporters on Tuesday.
The central bank cut interest rates on Tuesday for the first time in three years, lowering its policy repo rate to 8.00 percent, in a bid to revive a slowing economy.
Mukherjee also said the government would take additional steps in coming weeks to bolster economic growth.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; editing by Malini Menon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Google launches new email service dubbed "Inbox"
- Lax security in focus after attack at Canada's parliament
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby
- China's Xiaomi shifts some smartphone user data out of Beijing on privacy concerns
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital
India could allow commercial coal mining by foreign companies if they set up units in the country, opening the door for global giants like Rio Tinto to access the world's fifth largest coal reserves, a source familiar with the matter said. Full Article