High Court delays Bangladesh tour of Pakistan

DHAKA Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43pm IST

Bangladesh's fielders congratulate teammate Nazmul Hossain (R) after he dismissed Pakistan's Younis Khan during the Asia Cup cricket tournament final match in Dhaka March 22, 2012. REUTERS/Andrew Biraj/Files

Bangladesh's fielders congratulate teammate Nazmul Hossain (R) after he dismissed Pakistan's Younis Khan during the Asia Cup cricket tournament final match in Dhaka March 22, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Andrew Biraj/Files

DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh's cricket team will not go to Pakistan as planned later this month after the Dhaka High Court upheld a legal challenge to their tour and ordered a four-week delay, a lawyer said on Thursday.

Bangladesh had agreed to play a one-day international and a Twenty20 match on April 29 and 30 in what would have been the first full internationals in Pakistan since March 2009 when Sri Lankan cricketers and officials were attacked by gunmen in Lahore.

"The court by an order has restrained the Bangladesh government and the Bangladesh Cricket Board from going ahead with the national cricket team's tour to Pakistan for four weeks," said lawyer Hasan Azim, representing the two people who challenged the tour citing security concerns.

University lecturer Didarus Salam and a senior Supreme Court lawyer Kamal Hossain had jointly filed a petition in the Dhaka High Court earlier on Thursday, seeking an adjournment of the tour and asking why it should not be declared illegal.

Foreign teams have shunned Pakistan since the 2009 attack, which killed six Pakistani policemen.

Several Sri Lankan players were wounded in the incident, which also led to matches at the 2011 World Cup being taken away from Pakistan.

Since then, Pakistan have had to play their "home" matches at neutral venues.

Pakistan officials said they were surprised and disappointed by Thursday's court ruling.

"We are surprised that a purely cricketing matter has been dragged into the courts," PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf said. "We are deeply disappointed and sad that Bangladesh is not coming after confirming the tour last week.

"It is a big setback for Pakistan cricket and Pakistani cricket fans who were ready to welcome the Bangladesh team."

SECURITY PLAN

Ashraf said the PCB had made a comprehensive security plan for the tour and sent it to the International Cricket Council (ICC) for approval.

"Everything was being put into place as far as security is concerned," he said.

The PCB's chief operating officer, Subhan Ahmed, told Reuters that if the four-week delay was enforced then Pakistan would not be able to host Bangladesh due to other commitments.

The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) called for an independent report on the security situation in Pakistan.

"What's required is not a stumbling, non-transparent and conflicted approach to this issue, but a proper, fully transparent, independent report on the safety of playing in the country," Tim May, chief executive of the body which represents international cricketers, said in a statement.

"Only then will players feel comfortable contemplating whether it is time to play international cricket again in Pakistan."

(Editing by Amlan Chakraborty and Clare Fallon)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

SOCCER

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Target: Hamilton

Target: Hamilton

Nico Rosberg out to wreck Hamilton hat-trick bid.  Full Article 

Back on Top

Back on Top

Podolski double gets Arsenal back into top four.  Full Article 

IPL Boycott

IPL Boycott

News agencies to boycott IPL over photo restrictions.  Full Article 

Pistorius Trial

Pistorius Trial

Prosecutor wraps up Pistorius grilling in murder trial.  Full Article 

Djokovic Cruises

Djokovic Cruises

Novak Djokovic strolls into Monte Carlo third round.  Full Article 

Boston Anniversary

Boston Anniversary

Boston marks anniversary of bombing with somber ceremonies.  Full Article 

Against World Cup

Against World Cup

Small-scale World Cup protests continue in Brazil.  Full Article 

Formula One

Formula One

Red Bull appeal rejected - International Federation.  Full Article 

Sloppy Work

Sloppy Work

CAS blasts Jamaica over sloppy anti-doping procedures.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage