Expect $30-35 bln equity dilution from Basel III - Macquarie
Reuters Market Eye - The RBI directives to meet Basel III regulations could lead to an equity dilution in banks of roughly $30-35 billion over the next five years, Macquarie says.
"Frequent dilutions will be required to support growth and also simultaneously maintain the CAR levels and capital buffers," Macquarie says.
Public banks would be especially impacted. Pension liability provisions will pull down the common equity ratio by around 50 basis points for these banks, Macquarie predicts.
View contrasts with Goldman, which on Thursday said it did not expect a significant impact from Basel III requirements on Indian banks.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in state elections
- India finally fall in line to get Olympic ban overturned
- UPDATE 2-Iran president Rouhani targets stagflation in first budget
- Anti-corruption crusader Kejriwal stuns Indian politics with election surge
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
The Congress party was headed for a bruising defeat in key state elections, including in the capital, early results showed on Sunday, underlining the struggle it will face to cling to power in a national election due by May. Full Article