Rupee gains, stocks cut losses on GAAR changes
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The rupee strengthened against the dollar, while stocks cut losses after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee announced amendments to a series of controversial GAAR provisions on taxation for foreign investors, including deferring any implementation by a year.
The Sensex was down 0.5 percent, cutting losses of nearly 1 percent before the announcement.
The rupee was trading at 53.01 to the dollar, strengthening from 53.20 before the announcement.
(Reporting By Mumbai markets team)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Obama signs order expanding U.S. Afghanistan role - NY Times
- Obama to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Long "to do" list for Modi as clock ticks on reform
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a long list of pro-growth measures to implement over the next four months, but time may have already run out to breathe enough life into the economy to meet the tough 2014/15 fiscal deficit target without cuts. Article