Rupee gains, stocks cut losses on GAAR changes
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The rupee strengthened against the dollar, while stocks cut losses after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee announced amendments to a series of controversial GAAR provisions on taxation for foreign investors, including deferring any implementation by a year.
The Sensex was down 0.5 percent, cutting losses of nearly 1 percent before the announcement.
The rupee was trading at 53.01 to the dollar, strengthening from 53.20 before the announcement.
(Reporting By Mumbai markets team)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Boxer Sarita Devi faces action after refusing medal at Asian Games
- Boxer Sarita Devi showed lack of sportsmanship, say organisers
- Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital |
- Loss of smell may be predictor of death in older adults - study
- Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
India could run out of a critical medicine in its free HIV/AIDS drugs programme in three weeks due to bureaucratic bungling, a senior government official said, leaving more than 150,000 sufferers without life-saving drugs for about a month. Full Article