Rupee gains, stocks cut losses on GAAR changes
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The rupee strengthened against the dollar, while stocks cut losses after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee announced amendments to a series of controversial GAAR provisions on taxation for foreign investors, including deferring any implementation by a year.
The Sensex was down 0.5 percent, cutting losses of nearly 1 percent before the announcement.
The rupee was trading at 53.01 to the dollar, strengthening from 53.20 before the announcement.
(Reporting By Mumbai markets team)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked
- NATO to create new "spearhead" force to respond to crises
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- EU seeks rivals' feedback on Facebook, WhatsApp deal
- "We told you so" - Baltic jitters grow over former ruler Russia
The Nifty surged past the psychologically important 8,000 level for the first time on Monday as blue-chips such as ICICI Bank gained after better-than-expected quarterly economic growth data. Full Article
Government urges Supreme Court to not cancel some 'illegal' coal mines Full Article