Licence threat to Haye-Chisora fight from British board

LONDON Thu May 10, 2012 1:13am IST

British boxer Dereck Chisora arrives for the WBA heavyweight world championship fight between Alexander Povetkin of Russia and Marco Huck of Germany in Stuttgart February 25, 2012. REUTERS/Alex Domanski/Files

British boxer Dereck Chisora arrives for the WBA heavyweight world championship fight between Alexander Povetkin of Russia and Marco Huck of Germany in Stuttgart February 25, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Alex Domanski/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Anyone involved in the proposed heavyweight fight between David Haye and Dereck Chisora at West Ham United's Upton Park stadium on July 14 will be stripped of their licence, the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) said on Wednesday.

The pair were involved in a brawl at a news conference following Chisora's defeat by WBC title holder Vitali Klitschko in February and neither holds a British licence so the bout is being sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation.

"For the avoidance of doubt, any member of the British Boxing Board of Control who participates in any way in such a promotion will be deemed to have terminated his/her membership of the British Boxing Board of Control and his/her licence therewith," the BBBC said in a statement (www.bbbofc.com/notices/09-05-12).

"Those behind this proposal are not concerned with the interests of the sport of professional boxing.

"Any member who participates in such a promotion would bring the sport of boxing into disrepute and would wholly undermine the authority of the British Boxing Board of Control.

"This is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent the decision of the Stewards of the British Boxing Board of Control, in respect of Dereck Chisora, for monetary gain," it added.

Zimbabwe-born Chisora, who is managed by Frank Warren, had his licence withdrawn by the BBBC in March following the brawl although he is appealing the decision.

Chisora had already been banned indefinitely by the World Boxing Council for what it called "one of the worst behaviours ever by a professional".

Former WBA world heavyweight champion Haye did not renew his licence after announcing his retirement last October.

"The British Boxing Board of Control has made its position clear to the Luxembourg Boxing Federation, the European Boxing Union and World Sanctioning Organisations and has already received strong support for its stance," the BBBC said.

(Writing by Alison Wildey; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

SPORTS SHOWCASE

Commonwealth Games

Commonwealth Games

Silver fern gives Adams the desire to keep on winning.  Full Article 

Overseas Recruit

Overseas Recruit

Trezeguet signs up for Indian Super League.  Full Article 

Pumped Up

Pumped Up

British Open champion McIlroy not one to rest on his laurels.  Full Article 

Kidnap & Ransom

Kidnap & Ransom

Carlos Tevez's father kidnapped, released after ransom paid.  Full Article 

Woods Hopeful

Woods Hopeful

PGA Tour commissioner and Woods hope for big 2014 finish.  Full Article 

Coach Unimpressed

Coach Unimpressed

No backhanded compliments for Federer from Edberg.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage