Mladic trial interrupted as genocide suspect taken ill

AMSTERDAM Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:21pm IST

Related Topics

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The genocide trial of Ratko Mladic was broken off on Thursday after the Bosnian Serb general complained he felt unwell and was taken to hospital for medical checks, a court spokeswoman said.

Mladic, 70, was already in poor health when he was arrested in Serbia last year after 16 years on the run. Prosecutors and relatives of victims fear that he could die without facing justice, as happened with former Yugoslav strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who died before he could be sentenced.

"He (Mladic) complained he was feeling unwell during the hearing, so the hearing was adjourned," Nerma Jelacic, spokeswoman for the war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, told Reuters.

Mladic is accused of genocide for his role in the siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo and for orchestrating the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys, Europe's worst massacre since World War Two.

He has said on several occasions that he is too ill to stand trial, complaining that he suffers from the effects of a stroke, has problems with his teeth and has been admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

The court said the hearing would resume on Friday if Mladic could attend. Otherwise, an update would be given, Jelacic said.

(Reporting by Thomas Escritt; Editing by Sara Webb and Myra MacDonald)

FILED UNDER:

SAARC Summit

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Ferguson Violence

Ferguson Violence

More U.S. troops deployed in Ferguson to guard against fresh riots  Full Article 

Syria Crisis

Syria Crisis

Syrian government air strikes kill 63 in Raqqa - monitoring group  Full Article 

Ebola Outbreak

Ebola Outbreak

U.S. quarantine moves hurting Ebola response in Africa - Harvard  Full Article 

Fat and Cancer

Fat and Cancer

Fat to blame for half a million cancers a year, WHO agency says  Full Article 

Russia Sanctions

Russia Sanctions

Insight - Europe feels sting in the tail of Russia sanctions.  Full Article 

Hong Kong Protests

Hong Kong Protests

Hong Kong student leaders arrested as police clear protest site.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage