Bass player for Elton John found dead of apparent suicide
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Robert Wayne Birch, a backup musician and bass player for Elton John, was found dead in the Los Angeles area on Wednesday of an apparent suicide resulting from a gunshot wound to the head, officials said.
Los Angeles County Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said Birch's body was found after 1 a.m. PDT (0800 GMT) in a community of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The case is "being investigated as a possible suicide," Winter said.
Birch, who also played saxophone, worked as the bass player in John's band starting in the early 1990s, opening the door for Birch to play with other famous musicians and bands such as Billy Joel, Keith Emerson, and The Replacements.
(Reporting By Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- India Inc happy with Modi, but holding back on investment: poll
- Modi to launch plan for every Indian household to have bank account
- U.S. seeks coalition against Islamic State, but military partners no sure bet
- Modi eyes breakthrough nuclear pact on Japan trip
Sex Abuse Case
A 31-year-old man on Wednesday withdrew a high-profile lawsuit accusing "X-Men" director Bryan Singer of sexually abusing him when he was an aspiring teen actor. Full Article