Bass player for Elton John found dead of apparent suicide
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Robert Wayne Birch, a backup musician and bass player for Elton John, was found dead in the Los Angeles area on Wednesday of an apparent suicide resulting from a gunshot wound to the head, officials said.
Los Angeles County Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said Birch's body was found after 1 a.m. PDT (0800 GMT) in a community of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The case is "being investigated as a possible suicide," Winter said.
Birch, who also played saxophone, worked as the bass player in John's band starting in the early 1990s, opening the door for Birch to play with other famous musicians and bands such as Billy Joel, Keith Emerson, and The Replacements.
(Reporting By Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan
- Obama says strains over Ukraine not leading to new Cold War with Russia
- In rare move, Canada accuses Chinese of trying to hack govt network
- Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- UPDATE 2-U.S. Senate shortens transport extension, sets up clash with House
Godfather Of Soul
At first Oscar-winning actress Octavia Spencer thought she was seeing early concert footage of James Brown but then was told it was a screen test by Chadwick Boseman to play the "Godfather of Soul" in the new biopic "Get On Up." Full Article