Bass player for Elton John found dead of apparent suicide
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Robert Wayne Birch, a backup musician and bass player for Elton John, was found dead in the Los Angeles area on Wednesday of an apparent suicide resulting from a gunshot wound to the head, officials said.
Los Angeles County Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said Birch's body was found after 1 a.m. PDT (0800 GMT) in a community of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The case is "being investigated as a possible suicide," Winter said.
Birch, who also played saxophone, worked as the bass player in John's band starting in the early 1990s, opening the door for Birch to play with other famous musicians and bands such as Billy Joel, Keith Emerson, and The Replacements.
(Reporting By Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- UPDATE 2-White House plays down speedy role for U.S. natural gas in Ukraine
- Exclusive - Pimco's Gross declares El-Erian is 'trying to undermine me'
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
This is a movie that does women’s empowerment a huge disservice — it depicts the protagonists as one-dimensional characters; equates justice with mob violence. What’s more, it isn’t even entertaining cinema, writes Shilpa Jamkhandikar. Full Article