Bass player for Elton John found dead of apparent suicide
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Robert Wayne Birch, a backup musician and bass player for Elton John, was found dead in the Los Angeles area on Wednesday of an apparent suicide resulting from a gunshot wound to the head, officials said.
Los Angeles County Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said Birch's body was found after 1 a.m. PDT (0800 GMT) in a community of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The case is "being investigated as a possible suicide," Winter said.
Birch, who also played saxophone, worked as the bass player in John's band starting in the early 1990s, opening the door for Birch to play with other famous musicians and bands such as Billy Joel, Keith Emerson, and The Replacements.
(Reporting By Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 6-Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- Apple says its systems not to blame for celebrity photo breach
- UPDATE 3-Apple says its systems not to blame for celebrity photo breach
- Ukraine steelmen hold their ground as frontline marches towards port
- UPDATE 1-Girl who fatally shot Arizona gun instructor said weapon was too powerful
Pop star Justin Bieber was arrested and charged with assault and dangerous driving over the weekend after an incident near a small Canadian town, police said on Tuesday, in a case that could complicate the singer's probation in Los Angeles. Full Article