Bass player for Elton John found dead of apparent suicide
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Robert Wayne Birch, a backup musician and bass player for Elton John, was found dead in the Los Angeles area on Wednesday of an apparent suicide resulting from a gunshot wound to the head, officials said.
Los Angeles County Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter said Birch's body was found after 1 a.m. PDT (0800 GMT) in a community of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The case is "being investigated as a possible suicide," Winter said.
Birch, who also played saxophone, worked as the bass player in John's band starting in the early 1990s, opening the door for Birch to play with other famous musicians and bands such as Billy Joel, Keith Emerson, and The Replacements.
(Reporting By Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- In his native Alabama, Apple CEO's announcement he is gay prompts discomfort for some
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- Xiaomi moves into third place in global smartphone war
- UPDATE 5-Bike-riding U.S. nurse defies Ebola quarantine, on collision course with governor
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
Polish prosecutors interviewed filmmaker Roman Polanski on Thursday in connection with a U.S. arrest warrant over a 1977 sex crime conviction, then let him go free saying there were no grounds to hold him. Full Article