UPDATE 1-White House: tapping SPR an option, no announcement to make
ON BOARD AIR FORCE ONE Aug 29 (Reuters) - The White House reiterated on Wednesday that the option of releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve remained on the table but it had no announcements to make about a move.
"As I have said for some time now, all options are on the table with regard to this issue," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters, echoing a similar statement he made on Tuesday.
Carney said the United States along with its G7 and G8 partners were watching the effects of global oil prices on the world economy.
"We continue to do that, but I have no announcement," Carney said.
The White House seriously considered a plan in the spring to tap the SPR but shelved it after oil prices came down.
The United States and international partners are now considering those plans again, following a potential oil supply disruption from Hurricane Isaac as a possible reason for action.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- UPDATE 2-Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare
- On Easter, Pope calls for end to war, condemns waste exacerbating hunger
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane to make emergency landing
- Australia sees "regroup" on Malaysian plane search in a few days
Nitin Gadkari, former president of the Bharatiya Janata Party and a member of the BJP’s manifesto committee, speaks to Reuters. Here are the edited excerpts. Full Article