UPDATE 1-White House: tapping SPR an option, no announcement to make
ON BOARD AIR FORCE ONE Aug 29 (Reuters) - The White House reiterated on Wednesday that the option of releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve remained on the table but it had no announcements to make about a move.
"As I have said for some time now, all options are on the table with regard to this issue," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters, echoing a similar statement he made on Tuesday.
Carney said the United States along with its G7 and G8 partners were watching the effects of global oil prices on the world economy.
"We continue to do that, but I have no announcement," Carney said.
The White House seriously considered a plan in the spring to tap the SPR but shelved it after oil prices came down.
The United States and international partners are now considering those plans again, following a potential oil supply disruption from Hurricane Isaac as a possible reason for action.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- CEO in apparent suicide was bitcoin fan, had other issues, too
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Singapore's megachurches move to export lucrative religion
- Kremlin aide warns U.S. of response if sanctions imposed - RIA
- Exclusive - Pimco's Gross declares El-Erian is 'trying to undermine me'
The BSE Sensex and Nifty rose to hit a record high, after foreign investors' buying of shares in the previous day was the biggest so far this year. Full Article