Voices from the right: Best quotes from the Republican convention
TAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - "I wish President (Barack) Obama had succeeded because I want America to succeed. But his promises gave way to disappointment and division. This isn't something we have to accept."
- Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney
"President Obama promised to slow the rise of the oceans and to heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family."
- Mitt Romney
"What is needed in our country today is not complicated or profound. It doesn't take a special government commission to tell us what America needs. What America needs is jobs. Lots of jobs."
- Mitt Romney
"I am not going to shut up, it is my turn."
- Actor/director Clint Eastwood, talking to an imaginary President Obama in a chair
"You're crazy, you're absolutely crazy. You're getting as bad as (Vice President Joe) Biden."
- Eastwood, to the imaginary Obama
"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life. ... If you're feeling left out or passed by, you have not failed, your leaders have failed you."
- Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan
"We're a full generation apart, Governor Romney and I. And, in some ways, we're a little different. There are the songs on his iPod which I've heard on the campaign bus and on many hotel elevators. He actually urged me to play some of these songs at campaign rallies. I said, 'I hope it's not a deal-breaker Mitt, but my playlist starts with AC/DC and ends with Zeppelin.'"
- Paul Ryan
"The demographics race, we're losing badly. We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."
- South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, on the dangers Republicans face if they cannot appeal to more minorities at a time when white voters are a decreasing part of the electorate.
"I read somewhere that Mitt and I have a 'storybook marriage.' Well, in the story books I read, there were never long, long, rainy winter afternoons in a house with five boys screaming at once. And those story books never seemed to have chapters called MS or breast cancer. A storybook marriage? No, not at all. What Mitt Romney and I have is a real marriage."
- Ann Romney
"I can't tell you what will happen over the next four years. But I can only stand here tonight, as a wife, a mother, a grandmother, an American, and make you this solemn commitment: This man will not fail. This man will not let us down. This man will lift up America."
- Ann Romney, on her husband
"I said tonight I wanted to talk to you about love."
"I believe we have become paralyzed by our desire to be loved. ... Tonight, we choose respect over love. We are not afraid. We are taking our country back."
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
"Before I ran for district attorney, two Republicans invited my husband and me to lunch. And I know a party switch was exactly what they wanted. So, I told Chuck, we'll be polite, enjoy a free lunch and then say goodbye. But we talked about issues. They never used the words Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal. We talked about many issues, like welfare - is it a way of life or a hand up? And when we left that lunch, we got in the car, and I looked over at Chuck and said, 'I'll be damned, we're Republicans.'"
-New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez, a former Democrat
"Folks, let me tell you this, (Democratic Vice President) Joe Biden disputes a lot of those facts, but Joe Biden told me that he was a good golfer. And I've played golf with Joe Biden. I can tell you that's not true."
- Ohio Governor John Kasich
The Republican convention is a chance for Mitt Romney to prove that he is not "a plutocrat married to a known equestrian."
- Former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, on how Romney needs to show that he is not out of touch with the needs of the middle class
"We are not better off than we were four years ago, and no rhetoric, bumper sticker or campaign ad can change that. Mr. President, I am here to tell you we are not buying what you are selling in 2012."
- Mia Love, mayor of Sarasota Springs, Utah
"The true measure of a man is revealed in his actions during times of trouble, the quiet hospital room of a dying boy with no cameras or reporters."
- Ted Oparowski, recalling how Mitt Romney befriended their 14-year-old son in the seven months before he died of Hodgkin's disease in 1979.
(Compiled by David Lindsey; Editing by Leslie Adler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- UPDATE 2-Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane to make emergency landing
- Calls to U.S. poison centers involving e-cigarettes jump - CDC
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare