- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida
- Weakened Congress wondering if early elections will help
- S.Africa minister accuses Indian High Commission official in Gupta scandal
- Rod Stewart tops UK album chart for first time in 34 years
- Pakistan: senior PTI leader Zara Shahid Hussain killed
Australian Treasurer says committed to budget surplus despite lower commodity prices
CANBERRA, Sept 5 |
CANBERRA, Sept 5 (Reuters) - Australian Treasurer Wayne Swan on Wednesday said the government remained committed to deliver a surplus budget for the year to June 30, 2013, despite lower than expected commodity prices.
"While we have budgeted for a decline in our terms of trade, commodity spot prices have fallen more than we anticipated in May. And obviously it would be a further hit to our budget bottom line if these lower prices were sustained," Swan said.
"That will make our budget task harder. But we are absolutely commited to delivering a surplus in 2012-13." (Reporting by James Grubel)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this