Spain's Catalonia region to hold early elections on Nov 25
MADRID, Sept 25
MADRID, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Spain's Catalonia region will hold early elections on November 25, regional president Artur Mas announced on Tuesday.
Catalonia generates one fifth of the Spanish economy but is also the most indebted Spanish region. Mas's call for greater tax autonomy was rejected last week by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, prompting the regional leader to call the early vote in a speech to the Catalan parliament in Barcelona.
Mas's conservative Convergence and Union (CiU) party would likely win an absolute majority in elections, strengthening his mandate to press on towards independence and delivering a blow to Rajoy who has called for national unity to counter the country's debt crisis.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- Malaysian plane with 239 aboard crashes - report
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane - Vietnam official