Messi not right choice for Ballon d'Or: Ibrahimovic
PARIS (Reuters) - Lionel Messi does not deserve to win the next FIFA Ballon d'Or as he has only won one minor trophy this year, his former Barcelona team mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic said on Tuesday.
"Messi had a fantastic season but he has not won that much and he has already won the Ballon d'Or three times," Paris St Germain forward Ibrahimovic, who played with Messi in the 2009/10 season, told Eurosport on Tuesday.
"It depends whether you reward an individual or a collective work.
"Xavi is still playing at a high level, Iniesta also had a great season, they won the Euro while Messi has not won anything, just the King's Cup. Messi has won the Ballon d'Or three times, it's now someone else's turn to win it."
The Ballon d'Or, which was merged with the World Player of the Year award in 2010, will be awarded on January 7, 2013.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; editing by Peter Rutherford)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts
- UPDATE 3-Comcast profit boosted by internet subscriber growth, NBC
- UPDATE 4-Korea ferry businessman's body found next to book, alcohol bottles
- Italy gives Google 18 months to change data use practices
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts
Brazil named Dunga as their manager for the second time on Tuesday, two weeks after they were hammered 7-1 by Germany in the World Cup semi-finals, a result which led to the resignation of former coach Luiz Felipe Scolari. Full Article