Messi not right choice for Ballon d'Or: Ibrahimovic
PARIS (Reuters) - Lionel Messi does not deserve to win the next FIFA Ballon d'Or as he has only won one minor trophy this year, his former Barcelona team mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic said on Tuesday.
"Messi had a fantastic season but he has not won that much and he has already won the Ballon d'Or three times," Paris St Germain forward Ibrahimovic, who played with Messi in the 2009/10 season, told Eurosport on Tuesday.
"It depends whether you reward an individual or a collective work.
"Xavi is still playing at a high level, Iniesta also had a great season, they won the Euro while Messi has not won anything, just the King's Cup. Messi has won the Ballon d'Or three times, it's now someone else's turn to win it."
The Ballon d'Or, which was merged with the World Player of the Year award in 2010, will be awarded on January 7, 2013.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; editing by Peter Rutherford)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo, dies after car strikes it
- U.S. plans to arm Iraq's Sunni tribesmen with AK-47s, RPGs, mortars
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Apple $450 mln e-book settlement gets final court approval
- Team mates will determine success of my captaincy - Kohli
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi set a La Liga record of 253 goals when he grabbed a hat-trick in Saturday's 5-1 win at home to Sevilla, the latest milestone for the four-times World Player of the Year. Full Article