Messi not right choice for Ballon d'Or: Ibrahimovic
PARIS (Reuters) - Lionel Messi does not deserve to win the next FIFA Ballon d'Or as he has only won one minor trophy this year, his former Barcelona team mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic said on Tuesday.
"Messi had a fantastic season but he has not won that much and he has already won the Ballon d'Or three times," Paris St Germain forward Ibrahimovic, who played with Messi in the 2009/10 season, told Eurosport on Tuesday.
"It depends whether you reward an individual or a collective work.
"Xavi is still playing at a high level, Iniesta also had a great season, they won the Euro while Messi has not won anything, just the King's Cup. Messi has won the Ballon d'Or three times, it's now someone else's turn to win it."
The Ballon d'Or, which was merged with the World Player of the Year award in 2010, will be awarded on January 7, 2013.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; editing by Peter Rutherford)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Japan and India vow to boost defence ties during summit
- Government urges court to leave some coal blocks with companies
- Ukraine accuses Russia of "undisguised aggression" as rebels advance
- Balance of payments rises on robust dollar inflows
Baking heat, rain and the threat of lightning all forced stoppages in play at the U.S. Open on Sunday but Roger Federer and Caroline Wozniacki marched on through a day of wild weather and upsets. Full Article