UPDATE 1-Cricket-West Indies beat Sri Lanka to win World Twenty20
COLOMBO Oct 7 (Reuters) - West Indies clinched the World Twenty20 title beating Sri Lanka by 36 runs in the final at the R. Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.
Batting first, West Indies made 137 for six wickets from their 20 overs and then returned to skittle out the hosts for 101 runs in 18.4 overs.
Sunil Narine picked up three wickets for nine runs for West Indies while captain Darren Sammy chipped in with two wickets for six runs.
Sri Lanka spinner Ajantha Mendis took four wickets for 12 runs as West Indies struggled against some accurate bowling and needed some lusty hitting from Marlon Samuels (78 off 56 balls) to reach a respectable total.
Samuels hit six massive sixes and four boundaries to inject some much-needed momentum into the West Indies innings, after they were struggling on 32 for two at the halfway stage. (Editing by Sudipto Ganguly)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- UPDATE 2-UK launches hunt for man with British accent on beheading video
- Islamic State opens new anti-U.S. front with beheading video
- UPDATE 1-Sears Canada reports loss, revenue slides 12 pct
- Govt begins revamp of Food Corporation of India to cut waste, tame prices