BRUSSELS The president of the European Parliament welcomed the awarding of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize to the European Union on Friday, saying it recognised post-war reconciliation in Europe and would serve as an inspiration.
"(We are) deeply touched and honoured that the EU has won the Nobel Peace Prize," Martin Schulz said in a statement distributed on Twitter.
"Reconciliation is what the EU is about. It can serve as an inspiration. The EU is a unique project that replaced war with peace, hate with solidarity."
The Nobel committee said the EU deserved the award for its long-term role in uniting the continent after World War Two.
(Writing by Luke Baker)
Trending On Reuters
Afghanistan is threatening to crack down on U.S. defence contractors it says owe hundreds of millions of dollars in back taxes, including by freezing their bank accounts and refusing to renew yearly business licences when they expire. Full Article
- Afghan 'hero soldier' of parliament attack arrested in traffic death
- Malaysia PM slams corruption report; says part of political sabotage
- Death toll from capsized Philippine ferry rises to 41, divers halt search
- Turkey reinforces Syria border, Davutoglu says no incursion planned
- Congo and WHO investigate possible Ebola outbreak
Solar-powered plane breaks solo flight record across Pacific to Hawaii Full Article