Profile: P. Chidambaram, finance minister
POSITION: Minister of Finance, India
INCUMBENT: Palaniappan Chidambaram
DATE OF BIRTH: September 16, 1945
TERM: Appointed in August 2012
- A member of the Indian National Congress and member of the lower house of parliament since 1984, Chidambaram has held several ministerial posts since 1985.
- This is Chidambaram's third stint as Finance Minister, having held the post in 1996-1998 and 2004-2008. He also served as Home Minister from December 2008 to July 2012, and as Deputy Commerce Minister on two occasions.
- He is widely credited with implementing a series of reforms, along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to stem a slowdown in growth, curb a widening fiscal deficit and attract more foreign investment into Asia's third largest economy.
- Chidambaram holds degrees from Madras University in Chennai and a Masters of Business Administration from Harvard University. He is married and has a son.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; Editing by Daniel Magnowski and David Cutler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Special Report: Why Madrid's poor fear Goldman Sachs and Blackstone
- Gold sales jump about 20 pct for Diwali - trade body
- Three major nations absent as China launches W.Bank rival in Asia
- ISL probes allegation of assault on Pires
- UPDATE 4-Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
The latest Reuters poll of 20 economists taken over the past week shows Asia's third-largest economy will likely grow 5.5 percent this fiscal year and 6.4 percent the next, slightly better than 5.3 percent and 6.3 percent expected in the July poll. Full Article
Kalki Koechlin on her role as a disabled girl in “Margarita, With a Straw” Full Article