Profile: P. Chidambaram, finance minister
POSITION: Minister of Finance, India
INCUMBENT: Palaniappan Chidambaram
DATE OF BIRTH: September 16, 1945
TERM: Appointed in August 2012
- A member of the Indian National Congress and member of the lower house of parliament since 1984, Chidambaram has held several ministerial posts since 1985.
- This is Chidambaram's third stint as Finance Minister, having held the post in 1996-1998 and 2004-2008. He also served as Home Minister from December 2008 to July 2012, and as Deputy Commerce Minister on two occasions.
- He is widely credited with implementing a series of reforms, along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to stem a slowdown in growth, curb a widening fiscal deficit and attract more foreign investment into Asia's third largest economy.
- Chidambaram holds degrees from Madras University in Chennai and a Masters of Business Administration from Harvard University. He is married and has a son.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; Editing by Daniel Magnowski and David Cutler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through 5 airports
- UPDATE 4-NY says Ocwen backdated foreclosure letters, company shares slide
- New Total boss must overhaul exploration strategy, pursue cost cuts
- Coca-Cola announces growth plan as profit falls 14 pct
As well as making the lives of millions of middle class Indians easier, the sharp drop in Brent crude prices since June is a boon for Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his fight to revive an economy growing at its slowest rate since the 1980s. Full Article