Profile: P. Chidambaram, finance minister
POSITION: Minister of Finance, India
INCUMBENT: Palaniappan Chidambaram
DATE OF BIRTH: September 16, 1945
TERM: Appointed in August 2012
- A member of the Indian National Congress and member of the lower house of parliament since 1984, Chidambaram has held several ministerial posts since 1985.
- This is Chidambaram's third stint as Finance Minister, having held the post in 1996-1998 and 2004-2008. He also served as Home Minister from December 2008 to July 2012, and as Deputy Commerce Minister on two occasions.
- He is widely credited with implementing a series of reforms, along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to stem a slowdown in growth, curb a widening fiscal deficit and attract more foreign investment into Asia's third largest economy.
- Chidambaram holds degrees from Madras University in Chennai and a Masters of Business Administration from Harvard University. He is married and has a son.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; Editing by Daniel Magnowski and David Cutler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Insight: How U.S. spying cost Boeing multibillion-dollar jet contract
- Timeline: Case of Devyani Khobragade, Indian diplomat arrested in New York
- Govt presses Supreme Court to drop gay sex ban
- U.S. aircraft hit by gunfire in South Sudan
- Domino's outlet attacked in India as U.S. diplomatic dispute simmers
India said on Saturday that it had transferred Devyani Khobragade, the diplomat at the centre of a row with the U.S., to its U.N. delegation, a move that it hopes will give her protection from prosecution for visa fraud and underpaying a maid. Article | Slideshow