Messi's girlfriend gives birth to son Thiago
REUTERS - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has become a father for the first time following the birth of his son Thiago on Friday.
"Leo Messi is a father," his club Barcelona said in a brief statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.com).
"This Friday afternoon Antonella Rocuzzo, the Argentine star's girlfriend, gave birth to Thiago Messi, the couple's first son."
Messi, 25, added on his Facebook page: "Today I am the happiest man in the world, my son has been born.
"I thank God for this gift. Thanks to my family for the support. A hug for everyone."
All being well, forward Messi should still be available for Saturday's La Liga match at home to Celta Vigo (1700 GMT), Barca coach Tito Vilanova said earlier on Friday.
(Writing by Iain Rogers in Madrid, editing by Mark Meadows)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Judge allows $2 bln sale of NBA's Los Angeles Clippers to proceed
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border
- UPDATE 6-Dollar Tree to buy Family Dollar to stave off competition
- Cricket - Moeen probed after sporting 'Save Gaza' wristbands
- UPDATE 5-Property website Zillow to buy rival Trulia to cut costs
Jamaican Kemar Bailey-Cole won the Commonwealth Games 100 metres gold in a time of 10 seconds on Monday. Bailey-Cole made a slow start but his long stride helped him claw his way back into the main group at the midway point. Full Article