PROFILE - RBI governor Duvvuri Subbarao
Position: Governor, Reserve Bank of India
Incumbent: Duvvuri Subbarao
Date of Birth: August 11, 1949
Term: Appointed on September 5, 2008 for a three-year term, which was extended by another two years in 2011
- Subbarao is the 22nd Governor of the Indian central bank. He assumed office during the global financial crisis.
- He was finance secretary in the ministry of finance prior to his appointment as governor of the RBI.
- Subbarao holds a masters degree in Physics from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and also a Masters in Economics from Ohio State University.
- He is married with two children.
(Reporting by Suvashree Dey Choudhury; Editing by David Cutler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Fears for tough penalties grow as India cleans up business
- India warns Pakistan of more pain in Kashmir fighting
- Giving pricey hepatitis drug to prisoners may be financially wise
- No fear of deflation: Indian consumers respond to softer oil, food prices
- New Jerusalem find may shed light on Jewish revolt against Romans
An unprecedented ban on DLF, India's largest property developer, from tapping capital markets has fuelled expectations of tougher penalties ahead, as the country's regulators feel emboldened to take on even companies long sheltered by political connections. Full Article