Gold prices jump to 1-month high
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Gold importers in India, the world's biggest buyer, refrained from booking new deals as a weaker rupee kept prices in the vicinity of their highest level in a month.
* At 02:08 p.m., the most-active gold for December on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.37 percent higher at 31,323 rupees per 10 grams, after hitting a high of 31,348 rupees, a level last seen on October 11.
* "The (demand) scenario is dull ahead of festivals due to a sudden spike in gold prices," said a dealer with a private bullion importing bank in Mumbai, adding "seasonal demand will be met by old stocks."
* The festival season in India will peak with Dhanteras and Diwali next week, with weddings also slated to continue till December.
* The rupee, which weakened on Thursday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
* In the overseas markets, gold traded flat below the 2-1/2-week high hit in the previous session after U.S. President Barack Obama was re-elected, as a strong dollar largely put off buyers.
* Silver also traded higher tracking the yellow metal.
* Silver for December delivery on the MCX was 0.48 percent higher at 59,539 rupees per kg.
(Reporting by Siddesh Mayenkar; Editing by Sunil Nair)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Boxer Sarita Devi faces action after refusing medal at Asian Games
- Boxer Sarita Devi showed lack of sportsmanship, say organisers
- UPDATE 8-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle
- Amazon to sell packaged food and beverages in India - Economic Times
BACK IN JAIL
Subrata Roy, the jailed chief of India's Sahara conglomerate, is back in a cell after living in a makeshift prison office for two months as he tried to negotiate the sale of his luxury hotels, a jail official said. Full Article
Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle. Full Article
Diageo bars United Breweries from appointing independent director at United Spirits. Full Article