Galaxy S3 takes top spot in smartphone market
REUTERS - Samsung Electronics' (005930.KS) Galaxy S3 became the world's best-selling smartphone model last quarter, pushing aside Apple Inc's(AAPL.O) iPhone, which has dominated the chart for more than two years, research firm Strategy Analytics said on Thursday.
Strategy Analytics estimated Samsung sold 18 million S3 models in the third quarter, compared with iPhone 4S sales of 16.2 million.
Strong sales of the flagship Galaxy S3 - which comes with a large 4.8 inch touchscreen - helped Samsung post a record $7.3 billion operating profit in the July-September quarter.
"Samsung's Galaxy S3 has proven wildly popular with consumers and operators across North America, Europe and Asia," said analyst Neil Mawston, adding the new iPhone 5 would likely reclaim the top spot for Apple in the current quarter. (Reporting by Tarmo Virki; Editing by David Holmes)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- Malaysian plane with 239 aboard crashes - report
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane - Vietnam official
PLANE LOSES CONTACT
A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went missing over the South China Sea on Saturday, prompting China to send ships to scour the water for possible wreckage. Full Article | Video