Galaxy S3 takes top spot in smartphone market
REUTERS - Samsung Electronics' (005930.KS) Galaxy S3 became the world's best-selling smartphone model last quarter, pushing aside Apple Inc's(AAPL.O) iPhone, which has dominated the chart for more than two years, research firm Strategy Analytics said on Thursday.
Strategy Analytics estimated Samsung sold 18 million S3 models in the third quarter, compared with iPhone 4S sales of 16.2 million.
Strong sales of the flagship Galaxy S3 - which comes with a large 4.8 inch touchscreen - helped Samsung post a record $7.3 billion operating profit in the July-September quarter.
"Samsung's Galaxy S3 has proven wildly popular with consumers and operators across North America, Europe and Asia," said analyst Neil Mawston, adding the new iPhone 5 would likely reclaim the top spot for Apple in the current quarter. (Reporting by Tarmo Virki; Editing by David Holmes)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Alabama man claims penis was amputated by mistake
- UPDATE 7-French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- Iraq elects president as Ban urges unity to save nation
- UPDATE 2-U.S. says Russia firing artillery over border at Ukraine military
- UPDATE 8-At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
India blocked an agreement on new global customs rules on Thursday, angering fellow members of the World Trade Organization who say Delhi's veto could be costly, economically and politically. Full Article