Galaxy S3 takes top spot in smartphone market
REUTERS - Samsung Electronics' (005930.KS) Galaxy S3 became the world's best-selling smartphone model last quarter, pushing aside Apple Inc's(AAPL.O) iPhone, which has dominated the chart for more than two years, research firm Strategy Analytics said on Thursday.
Strategy Analytics estimated Samsung sold 18 million S3 models in the third quarter, compared with iPhone 4S sales of 16.2 million.
Strong sales of the flagship Galaxy S3 - which comes with a large 4.8 inch touchscreen - helped Samsung post a record $7.3 billion operating profit in the July-September quarter.
"Samsung's Galaxy S3 has proven wildly popular with consumers and operators across North America, Europe and Asia," said analyst Neil Mawston, adding the new iPhone 5 would likely reclaim the top spot for Apple in the current quarter. (Reporting by Tarmo Virki; Editing by David Holmes)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- Search for Malaysia Airlines jet refocuses on drone scans of seafloor
- Borno state authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still missing
- UPDATE 3-Putin talks tough on Ukraine but says he hopes for peace
- Acid attack survivor wins millions on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'
Wipro posted a 29 percent rise in its fourth-quarter net profit, beating expectations, helped by increased IT spending by its customers. For the quarter ended March 31, the company said it earned 22.27 billion rupees compared with 17.29 billion rupees a year earlier. Full Article | Full Coverage
Ex-Goldman director Rajat Gupta to surrender June 17 in insider case. Full Article