United Spirits jumps on media report over Diageo talks
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in Spirits(UNSP.NS) rose as much as 3.3 percent to its highest since January 2011, after CNBC TV 18, a local news channel, reported top officials at the Indian liquor maker were expected to meet Diageo(DGE.L) on Thursday to continue discussing a potential stake sale, citing unidentified sources.
United Spirits has been in talks to sell a stake to the world's biggest spirits group but the outcome has been in doubt after Vijay Mallya, who controls the liquor company, told Reuters on October 27 he had not reached a deal with Diageo (DGE.L).
United Spirits declined to comment when contacted by Reuters. Diageo officials were not immediately reachable.
United Spirits shares are known for their volatility, reacting often to the speculations about speculated developments from its talks with Diageo.
United Spirits shares were up 2.6 percent as of 11:22 a.m.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby
- Google launches new email service dubbed "Inbox"
- UPDATE 2-Divided U.S. SEC adopts mortgage rule, decries lax lending
- Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses
- US STOCKS-Wall St turns lower after shooting at Canadian parliament
India could allow commercial coal mining by foreign companies if they set up units in the country, opening the door for global giants like Rio Tinto to access the world's fifth largest coal reserves, a source familiar with the matter said. Full Article