BSE Sensex gains; SBI, Coal India up
Reuters Market Eye - The BSE Sensex gains 0.13 percent and the Nifty is up 0.12 percent. State Bank of India gains 0.6 percent while Coal India (COAL.NS) is up 0.3 percent ahead of their quarterly results later in the day.
Shares in United Spirits Ltd (UNSP.NS) rise as much as 6.1 percent on hopes Indian liquor baron Vijay Mallya's company is nearing a deal to sell a stake to Diageo (DGE.L), with sources telling Reuters an announcement could be made as early as Friday.
However, Asian shares extend losses, weighed down by worries over the risk of a recession in the world's largest economy as the United States faces a looming fiscal crisis and by uncertainty over a bailout for Greece, which keep sovereign bonds firmly bid.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Bill Cosby says he does not have to 'answer to innuendos': report
- Hitler watercolour fetches 130,000 euros at Nuremberg auction
- China's rate-cut likely to hurt banks, curb new loans to small borrowers
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a long list of pro-growth measures to implement over the next four months, but time may have already run out to breathe enough life into the economy to meet the tough 2014/15 fiscal deficit target without cuts. Article