Auction of 2G airwaves opens to muted response

NEW DELHI Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31pm IST

Sun rises over the telecommunication towers in New Delhi December 22, 2007. REUTERS/B Mathur/Files

Sun rises over the telecommunication towers in New Delhi December 22, 2007.

Credit: Reuters/B Mathur/Files

Stocks

   

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An auction of 2G mobile phone airwaves attracted nearly $2 billion worth of bids on Monday but no interest for four zones in a process some carriers have said is too pricey.

The government received bids worth more than 92 billion rupees by the end of the fifth round of the auction, out of seven held on the day, Telecommunications Secretary R. Chandrashekhar said, though he said there had been no demand yet in the Delhi, Mumbai, Karnataka and Rajasthan zones.

India is for the first time selling second-generation mobile spectrum through an auction after the Supreme Court ordered the revoking of permits granted to eight carriers in a scandal-tainted process in 2008.

The auction - covering 22 zones in total - has no set timeframe and is due to run for as long as it takes for bids to dry up.

"Fifty-five to 60 percent of what had been put up for auction has been bid for," Chandrashekhar said. Within each zone a number of blocks are on offer.

Five operators - Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Group Plc's local unit, Norway's Telenor ASA, Videocon Telecommunications, part of Videocon Industries, and Idea Cellular - had applied to participate in the auction.

Telenor needs to win spectrum in the auction to continue operations in India, the world's second-biggest mobile phone market, as it is set to lose all its permits.

Idea Cellular, set to lose seven of its licences, has to win them back to retain its pan-India presence.

The government had set a starting bid price of 140 billion rupees for 5 megahertz of airwave space in all of the 22 telecommunications zones. The base price was more than seven times what carriers paid in 2008.

The finance ministry had initially estimated the auction would raise 400 billion rupees, betting on it to rein in its high fiscal deficit. However, the tepid demand at the sale may make it difficult for the government to meet that target.

India has also been left with no bidders for part of the sale after Tata Teleservices and Videocon Telecommunications dropped their interest earlier in CDMA-based (Code Division Multiple Access) mobile phone services.

Mobile phone market leaders Bharti Airtel and Vodafone India, which are not affected by the court order, are taking part in the auction to buy additional spectrum.

The muted response to the 2G auction is in contrast to the sale of 3G airwaves that the government held in 2010, which lasted more than a month. Government raised more than $12 billion from that auction.

(Additional reporting and writing by Aradhana Aravindan; Editing by Alex Richardson and David Holmes)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

COAL SCAM

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Reliance Projects

Reliance Projects

Exclusive: Reliance plans $13 billion projects including new refinery.  Full Article 

Pharma Sector

Pharma Sector

In race for bigger margins, drug makers willing to lose the India "advantage".  Full Article 

Low Stocks

Low Stocks

Indian power station coal stocks lowest since 2012 blackouts.  Full Article 

Markets This Month

Markets This Month

Tata Motors, M&M top Sensex gainers  Full Article 

Google Drones

Google Drones

Google is testing unmanned drones to deliver anything from dog food to medicine.  Video 

#RiceBucketChallenge

#RiceBucketChallenge

In India, rice replaces ice in bucket challenge.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage