DUBAI The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) said on Monday it will recognise Syria's newly formed opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
"The GCC declares its recognition of the Syrian national coalition ... as the legitimate representative of the brotherly Syrian people," Abdulatif al-Zayani, the GCC's secretary general, said in a statement.
(Writing by Amran Abocar; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
A Syrian father on Friday buried his wife and two little boys, drowned as they tried to flee to Europe, while hundreds of migrants fled from a detention camp and escaped a train stranded under police siege in Hungary. Full Article | Video
- Kentucky clerk's office ends ban on same-sex marriage licenses
- UK's Cameron bows to pressure to take more Syrian refugees
- Hillary Clinton says 'sorry' for confusion over email account
- At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy shut
- Saudi king meets with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal