DUBAI The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) said on Monday it will recognise Syria's newly formed opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
"The GCC declares its recognition of the Syrian national coalition ... as the legitimate representative of the brotherly Syrian people," Abdulatif al-Zayani, the GCC's secretary general, said in a statement.
(Writing by Amran Abocar; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
Tunisia's National Dialogue Quartet won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its contribution to building democracy after the Jasmine Revolution in 2011, the Nobel Committee said. Full Article
- No quick fix for latest 'wave of terror' - Israel's Netanyahu
- Syria extends major offensive to retake territory in west
- Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship met its end
- U.N. proposes unity gov't for Libya's warring factions, Tripoli balks
- France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California