Golf-Bermuda to stage PGA Grand Slam for next two years

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:12am IST

Nov 14 (Reuters) - The end-of-season PGA Grand Slam of Golf, which brings together the winners of the four majors, will return to the island of Bermuda for the next two years, organisers said on Wednesday.

The 36-hole stroke-play event has been staged in Bermuda since 2007, with Ireland's Padraig Harrington clinching the 2012 edition by one shot at Port Royal Golf Course in Southampton last month.

Harrington was a late addition to the field, replacing British Open champion Ernie Els of South Africa who withdrew because of an ankle injury.

"Bermuda has embraced the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, serving as an exemplary host the past six years and delivering unmatched hospitality and community support for the game's elite foursome," PGA of America president Ted Bishop said in a statement.

The $1.35 million PGA Grand Slam of Golf will be held at Port Royal from Oct. 15-16 next year.

The elite four-man tournament, billed as "the most exclusive tournament in golf", was held in Hawaii from 1991 to 2006 before moving to Bermuda in 2007. (Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Julian Linden)

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

REUTERS SHOWCASE

FIFA Slammed

FIFA Slammed

Triesman condemns FIFA as rogue state, calls for boycott.  Full Article 

Soccer Wrap

Soccer Wrap

Late Lavezzi goal sends champions PSG to the top.  Full Article | Related Story 

Culture Shock

Culture Shock

Late kickoffs a culture shock for new Sociedad boss Moyes.  Full Article 

Davis Cup

Davis Cup

Gael-force Monfils blows France back into final.  Full Article | Related Story 

Hamilton Ahead

Hamilton Ahead

Advantage Hamilton in Abu Dhabi practice  Full Article 

Racist Comment

Racist Comment

FA investigating Wigan owner Whelan's remarks   Full Article 

Formula One

Formula One

Rosberg needs Williams to pick up speed  Full Article 

Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame

Kewell, Hong, Daei among AFC's first Hall of Fame inductees  Full Article 

Relief For Zidane

Relief For Zidane

Zidane coaching ban overturned  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage