JERUSALEM Air raid sirens sounded in Jerusalem on Friday and Israeli Army Radio said the alert was intended for Israeli towns near the holy city.
The siren lasted for less than a minute. The radio said its reporter in Jerusalem heard an explosion. No blast was heard in the Reuters bureau in the south of the city.
In Gaza, Hamas's military wing said it had fired a long-range rocket at Jerusalem, about 70 km (40) miles from the Palestinian enclave.
Israeli police said they had no immediate information on whether a rocket had hit the city.
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
Trending On Reuters
Southeast Asian nations agreed on Friday to intensify search and rescue efforts to help vulnerable "boat people" stranded in the region's seas, as Myanmar said its navy had seized a vessel off its coast with more than 700 migrants aboard. Full Article
- Islamic State settles into Ramadi, but the lull unlikely to last
- Japanese island to be evacuated after volcano erupts
- Islamic State suicide bomber in women's garb kills three in Saudi Arabia
- Civilians emerge as pawns in South China Sea legal chess game
- New Nigerian president seeks to crush "godless" Boko Haram
Virtual reality film aims to raise funds by giving Nepal quake experience Full Article