JERUSALEM Air raid sirens sounded in Jerusalem on Friday and Israeli Army Radio said the alert was intended for Israeli towns near the holy city.
The siren lasted for less than a minute. The radio said its reporter in Jerusalem heard an explosion. No blast was heard in the Reuters bureau in the south of the city.
In Gaza, Hamas's military wing said it had fired a long-range rocket at Jerusalem, about 70 km (40) miles from the Palestinian enclave.
Israeli police said they had no immediate information on whether a rocket had hit the city.
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
Trending On Reuters
Palestinian men armed with knives and a gun killed at least three people and wounded several others in a string of attacks in Jerusalem and near Tel Aviv on Tuesday, police said, on a "Day of Rage" declared by Palestinian groups. Full Article | Related Story
- Flight MH17 shot down by Russian-built Buk missile, Dutch report says
- Iranian parliament passes bill approving nuclear deal
- Taliban pull back from Kunduz as fighting flares on southern highway
- Syrian rebels fortify frontline with anti-tank missiles
- Japan, China agree to promote dialogue despite UNESCO dispute